Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Lambretta Lady

I was coming out of the bank yesterday, hopping onto the scoot, and there was an older lady that was maybe about 60 or 65 coming up behind me. She stopped when I went to kick start it, and I thought she was just waiting to walk past until the 'ordeal' was over. (In truth, the scoot most often kicks over first time, and I am getting to know it better, so it's not really an ordeal anymore). When the scooter started purring, however, the lady came up to me and said "Is that a Lambretta?". Shocked I was. She is the first person in Cranbrook to identify the scooter by name. Most people call it a Vespa or say "What is that thing?".

Well, it turns out that in 1967 this lady spent some time in Burmuda, where she owned the first Lambretta on the island. It was a silver/grey, brand new Lambretta, and she was the envy of the island were there were plenty of Vespas, but only one Lambretta. Her eyes got a little far-off at that point, and it looked like she was thinking back to those days of her youth, cruising the island on here silver 'bretta.

I think I made her day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home