Thursday, July 20, 2006

bathtime for couchette


If you are wondering why I have not posted here for the last week, or so, it's because I have had nothing to say. I have had nothing to say because I have had nothing to ride. I have had nothing to ride because when we got home from Red Lodge, I took Couchette's handlebars apart to re-solder the switch, and I took the flywheel cover off to double-check the condenser soldering job. Then I got busy. And there she sat. No rides for scooterboy.

That all changed tonight. I have a few minutes to rub together so I got the pieces all back together. Then I wheeled her out of the garage and kick kick kick vrooom. A beautiful sound. I waited for the scoot to warm up, then I grabbed my helmet and zipped off into the setting sun. Actually I was heading the wrong direction to be heading into the setting sun, but the sun was setting, so I figure what the hell, close enough.

I confess that my happiness is somewhat dependent on being able to ride. I think it is because there is no point to it. When I head out I never really have a destination, I don't have a time-line and I have no set route. the only thing I have to do is ride, and there are so few things left in life (sadly) that are like that. At a certain age it seems the responsibility activities surpass both in number and priority the sheer senseless fun ones. I suppose that is how it should be, but we still need the senseless ones. And so my ups and downs are partially tied to this cacauphonous firing and burning oil smell I get as Couchette roars and sputters to life each time, or not...

Tonight she loves me. We toodled through the hills with the last bit of daylight, luring dogs out of gates and sending deer back into the woods. It was glorious. When I got home, I shut her down, started her up again (!) shut her down, and started her up again (!!). And so, I gave her a sponge bath.

After weeks of wrenching on the scoot, it was covered with greasy finger prints and spilled oil. It was about time, so I got out the sudsy water and gave Couchette a good clean up. She deserved it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Shari Schwarz said...

Yeah!!! Sounds like a great ride. I know what you mean about doing something without an agenda or preconceived notion. Oh, to have more moments like that!

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mike:

thank goodness you finally posted something. i have been checking daily, and this week . . . nothing . i know what you mean about a senseless ride, no objectives, no plan, no trip map, no destination, just nothing time. but enjoyable. enjoy it while you can. while the weather is good, while the temp is hot, and cherish these days in the dark, dreary days of winter.

bobskoot

10:11 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Great jorb, Mikey! Glad to hear that it seems to be starting warm at last! Sure could use some senseless fun, myself. Oh, wait! It's South Country Fair weekend this weekend! 48 hours of senseless fun!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Anie said...

It's like a kid with a new set of sharpened pencil crayons and a white sheet to call his own!!
Scooterama baby!

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home