Monday, August 28, 2006

Tuesday, August 15

Tuesday is the real deal. Tuesday totally rocks. At least this one did. My actual birthday is on August 4, but it was kind of sucky this year, because I had to work like a banshee, then go out to Mayook to play music at the laying of a memorial stone for our friend Doug that died in the Kimberley mine accident. I lobbied for a new birthday, and when Anie asked what I wanted to do for my birthday, I said:

"I want to ride the scooter over to Nelson while you, Jeff and Marcie and the kids follow behind me. Then I want to hang out there for the day, and eat supper at Baba's (yummy East Indian food)."



So Tuesday was my 'new' birthday. And it was awesome. The scoot was running well, though I kinda had to bomb-start it as I got onto the ferry the first time, I didn't have time for three of four kicks so I just ran and popped the clutch. She fired right up and Anie snapped this pic as I rode onto the Osprey (the big ferry). In Nelson we junked around (Jeff coined that term) and had lunch at Babas. Wandered up and down the cool artsy shops and had Gelato while Jeff and Marcie ducked into Bent Over Leather (you can imagine what they sell in there). It was all for kicks and giggles though, and they even brought the stroller in...it musta looked funny. After that I bugged Jeff about his fuzzy pink hand-cuffs.

As the day wore down, we looked at the ferry schedule and we realized that the next ferry was leaving in 35 minutes, so we thought we'd try to catch it. Couchette fired up third kick, and off we went. I had to buy some cheap oil at the Shell, which I wasn't to keen to do, but there was no time for options and I had just hit the reserve. 27kms to go to the ferry, and 30 minutes to do it.

I tucked my head down behind the handlebars and pinned it out of Nelson. The road there is curvy, but nice to ride. No surprise corners or anything. Some nice long straight stretches. I pretty much kept her at 80km/h from Nelson to Balfour, where the ferry dock is. Turns out, we just squeaked on the ferry and made it back to the East Shore. Home.

Now that is more like it. That was easily my favourite ride so far.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anie said...

yup
good times..
enough even for 2 birthdays!

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home