Monday, July 31, 2006

kick it live

Today in the afternoon was my first opportunity to hop on the scoot and go for a ride (albeit a short one) after getting home from Lethbridge/Calgary for the weekend. I went to play drums for my brother's band (www.djcmusic.com) and then to IKEA for some office furniture.

The way home was a bit dodgy with our tiny trailer FILLED to the brim with cardboard IKEA boxes. We actually had to leave a bunch in Calgary with the in-laws, since my estimation was that the tongue would have broken right off our little trailer on the drive home.

Just outside of Cranbrook it started to pour, and I had visions of laminate and particle board getting water-stained and wrecked...like an anonymous description of sailing: "Sailing is like standing in the rain, tearing up hundred-dollar bills". Luckily I was prepared with some poly and duct tape. So I jumped out and with Anie's help we managed to make it home with a few damp (but not soggy) packages. Whew.

So today i went down to the bank. The movie store. Back home. Couchette started up nice each time. Sometimes first kick now...I don't know whether I am just learning to speak her language, or whether there are actual improvements in her performance. I suspect that owning a vintage scooter is akin to marriage: nobody tells you what it's like before (and if they did you wouldn't believe them) and once you're in it, you realize that you are hopelessly in love, and that you married an alien.

The first 5 years is just learning to speak that alien language.

Did I mention that it's our 5th Anniversary in 5 days?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought there was something 'other-worldly' about Anie. Hm...

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mike:

congrats on your impending anniversary. would have been better to be one day earlier. then you could have had a double celebration day

bob

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought that Anie had 'another worldly' look to her... hm...

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there an echo in here? Apparently. Sorry. Didn't think it worked the first time.

3:30 PM  
Blogger creativisualist said...

It's okay, I can delete it. But I think I will leave it up so people will know how silly you really are. Really Silly...

a really silly filly...

(eep!)

4:50 PM  
Blogger creativisualist said...

sorry i got all willy nilly there.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're silly. you + your scooter = silly squared. yeah.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Anie said...

Ah, my hopeful romantic!!
yer Alien Lubber..

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home